Glasses and EMFs




In our electropolluted environment, the metal used in most glasses frames can be a real problem, as it acts as an antenna, attracting EMFs towards the eyes and the head, and leading to various issues. Here’s my experience of getting a pair of all-plastic glasses frames to deal with this problem...

(Disclaimer: This post is not an ‘infommercial’, but just a record of my own experience in obtaining a pair of all-plastic glasses frames, which people may find useful. Other companies offering metal-free glasses may also be available).

I used to wear a pair of glasses that had mostly plastic frames, apart from metal hinges, and a short metal strengthening rod in both arms. Although the frames weren’t completely made out of metal, or didn’t have metal strengthening rods along the whole of the arms, wearing them still seemed to cause headaches. Which, given the ever-increasing amount of electrosmog in our environment, probably shouldn't come as a surprise.

I've included a couple of images below which show the difficulty of finding even clear, plastic glasses which don't contain metal.


Glasses with metal strengthening in the arms, and metal hinges



Clear glasses with metal screws and metal arm strengthening


Eventually, my mostly-plastic glasses frames finally broke beyond repair. As a stop-gap measure, I had to go back to using an old pair of metal-framed glasses. These REALLY gave me headaches, and so I could only wear them for very short periods of time.

It was time to track down a pair of glasses frames that were completely made of plastic. I’d previously come across a company called Swissflex which makes these, although there are relatively few opticians in the UK that deal with this company, so unfortunately it's not a case of going along to a high street optician to get a pair.

As it had been quite some time since I’d last had an eye test, I needed to get a new prescription. I looked into having a home eye test done, to spare myself a visit to a wi-fried optician, but for various reasons this was difficult, and so I ended up going to a well-known high street optician. For EHS people who would struggle to do this, home eye tests are available, although a private eye test at home will cost more than an eye test at an optician, and there may be a wait for an appointment

After I’d had the eye test, the optician tried to sell me a pair of glasses. I asked if they had any frames that were all plastic, and I was brightly told that they had lots of frames that were plastic. However, on inspection, each of the pairs that they pointed to actually contained metal in the arms of the glasses. They didn’t seem to understand that when I said I wanted all-plastic frames, that’s what I wanted. So, be careful taking what you are told by someone who is trying to sell you glasses at face value!

I left without ordering anything. When I got home, I emailed the optician that I'd just been to, as well as another high street chain, asking if they sold all-plastic glasses frames. The company that did my eye test replied to say that they had lots, and their email included a link. Needless to say, all of the glasses that came up in the results either metal in the arms, or else, because the frames were so dark, I couldn’t be 100% sure that they didn't have any metal inside them.

To their credit, the second optician that I’d contacted replied to say that none of their glasses frames were completely free of metal.

Having failed to order a pair of all-plastic glasses frames from either of these opticians, I returned to the idea of buying a pair of Swissflex glasses, although I was concerned that they might be really expensive, and there wasn't an optician that dealt with the company anywhere near me.

If anybody who reads this would like to buy a pair of Swissflex glasses, and if they can easily travel to an optician that stocks them, then this would obviously be the best solution, as everything can be done in person. For these people, here is a link to opticians in the UK that deal with Swissflex.

For anyone else, the other option is to order them online. I contacted a company called PKP Optics, who seem to be the UK distributors for these glasses. First, I asked them to confirm that the Swissflex frames really didn’t contain any metal. Then, I asked them how I could order a pair online.

They told me that there was absolutely no metal used in the frames, not even for the hinges. Everything is plastic. They put me in touch with a company called Simplespex, which is located in Maidstone, Kent.

I contacted Simplespex, and they were extremely helpful, and they guided me through the process of buying a pair of glasses online. I sent them my prescription, told them what I wanted to use the glasses for, and then it was a case of deciding what type of frame I should have, in what colour(s), the arm type, and so on.

Swissflex glasses are modular, so you can design them to your own specification, and you can mix and match the colours of the various components. Simplespex told me that the models readily available in the UK are Loop, Rainbow (some models), and Classic (see the 3rd link below).

I settled on the style and the colour of the glasses that I wanted, as well as the lens shape, and then submitted my order. The glasses arrived not too long afterwards.

The glasses themselves are exactly as advertised. As I’d chosen a lighter, translucent, colour, I could easily see through the arms, and there was absolutely no metal in them. The frames are light, comfortable to wear, and flexible.

What I would suggest, if you want to buy Swissflex glasses online (rather than in person), is that:

a) you have a new eye test done, either at your home, or in a store.

b) you ask the optician to confirm your PD (pupillary distance), which you can then pass onto Simplespex, along with your prescription. This will definitely make life much easier when you come to order the glasses, as measuring your own PD isn’t easy.

c) You then contact Simplespex by email (see the second link below), and they will guide you through the process, make up your glasses, and then send them to you.

The other thing to bear in mind is that if you choose the Swissflex Classic frames, which are rimless, and depending on the lens shape that you choose, consider selecting the colour 'crystal' (clear) for the parts that are within your field of vision (the nose parts, and the parts that hold the lenses to the arms), rather than coloured. This is because you will see them in your peripheral vision if they are coloured, which might be annoying. The frames shown below have coloured, rather than crystal, parts.


Swissflex Classic 

So, that’s it. Swissflex glasses are made totally without metal, and they can either be bought in person, if you can travel to an authorised optician, or they can be purchased online, via Simplespex. And whilst they aren’t exactly cheap, they aren’t as expensive as I had originally feared.


Useful links:

PKP Optics:  https://www.pkpoptics.co.uk/

Simplespex:  https://www.simplespex.co.uk/

Swissflex Frame Types:  https://swissflex-eyewear.com/en/collection/


Also, the ES-UK Directory has one or two additional ideas for obtaining metal-free glasses. You can find a link to the Directory if you scroll down this page:

https://www.es-uk.info/resources/















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Story of Ehs, and Accepting Loss